Idiomatic Expressions in Conversations (9)|英语会话惯用语

[关于人物的英语作文]

let somebody down  使人失望
A: I  trust  you  will  win  in the match. Don't let me down.
我相信你会赢得比赛。不要让我失望。
B: Trust me, I won't.
相信我,我不会(让你失望)。

let go 死心
A: I know she doesn't love me any more, but I just can't let go.
我知道她不再爱我,可是我不甘心。
B: Come on, you've got to face the reality.
得了吧,你要面对现实。

let me put...(in) this way 让我这样说好了
A: What do you think about her?
你觉得她怎样?
B: She  is the most sophisticated girl I've ever seen. Let me put it in this way: you never know what she is thinking.
她是我所见过的最有城府的女孩子,让我这样说好了:你永远不会知道她在想什么。

let me through 让我过去
A: You can't enter this room.
你不可进入这房间。
B: Let me through. I want to speak to the Councillor.
让我过去。我要跟议员说句话。

let's get down to business (let's talk business) 咱们谈正事吧
A: It's late now. Let's get down to business.
时候不早了,我们谈正事吧!
B: Okay. What do you want?
好,你想怎样?

let's go 走吧
A: It's five o'clock now. Let's go.
现在五点了,走吧!
B: Okay.
好。

let's go for a ride 让我们兜风去
A: I've just bought a new car. Let's go for a ride.
我刚买了一辆新车,让我们兜风去。
B: I'm sorry, but I've got to finish my assignment first.
对不起,我先要做完功课。

let's take a vote 让我们投票
A: Let's see a horror movie.
咱们看恐怖电影去吧。
B: I think a comic movie is better.
我想喜剧电影更好。
C: Since you don't agree with each other, let's take a vote.
既然你们意见不一,我们投票表决吧。

like father, like son 有其父必有其子
A: John is a miser.
约翰是个吝啬鬼。
B: Of course, like father like son.
当然啦,有其父必有其子。

like hell I will 我才不会呢
A: I guess you will date Mary tonight.
我想今晚你会约玛莉。
B: Like hell I will.
我才不会呢!

like what 例如什么
A: Unless he returns the money to me by Friday, I will teach him a lesson.
除非他在星期五前还钱给我,否则我会教训他一顿。
B: Like that?
例如——
A: Like beat him up.
例如揍他一顿。

line up 排队
A: There are so many people outside. Tell them to line up.
这么多人在外面。叫他们排队。
B: Yes, sir.
是,长官。

loan shark 放高利贷的人
A: There's a piece of news about the loan sharks again.
又有一条有关高利贷者的新闻。
B: It tells us never to borrow money from them.
它告诉我们永远不要向他们借钱。

the long arm of the law 天网恢恢,疏而不漏
A: The murderer was finally caught.
那个谋杀犯最后被捕了。
B: No one can escape the long arm of the law.
法网恢恢,疏而不漏。

long face 臭脸
A: What's  wrong  with  the boss? He is wearing a long face today.
老板怎么了?他整天拉长着一张臭脸。
B: I don't know. Perhaps he was scolded by his wife last night.
不知道。或许他昨晚被妻子骂了一顿吧。

long time no see 好久不见
A: Hello, Peter, long time no see. How are things?
哈啰,彼得,好久不见了,近来怎样?
B: Oh, nothing could be worse.
噢,糟透了。

look what you did (to...) 瞧你干的好事
A: Look what you did to my car. The windscreen was broken!
瞧你干的好事,我车子的挡风玻璃破了!
B: I'm sorry. I'll pay for it.
对不起,我会赔偿的。

lose one's touch 失去准头
A: What's wrong with him today? Yesterday he scored 40 points alone.
他今天怎么了?昨天他独得40分。
B: He must have lost his touch.
他一定失去了准头。

lose one's voice 声音沙哑
A: Don't shout too loud. You'll lose your voice.
不要大声叫嚷,你会变得声音沙哑的。
B: I won't. Don't worry.
不会的,放心。

lousy 身体不舒服;差透了
A: What's wrong with you?
你怎么了?
B: I'm feeling lousy. I won't go to school today.
我觉得身体不舒服,我今天不上学了。

A: How was your test?
你的测验成绩怎样?
B: Lousy.
糟透了。