Idiomatic Expressions in Conversations (13)|英语会话惯用

[关于人物的英语作文]

sky high 物价飞涨
A: Life is getting harsher and harsher.
 生活越来越困难了。
B: Yeah, the price of everything jumped sky high.
是啊,每种东西都漫天涨价。

small potato 小人物
A: Why don't you talk to the manger yourselves?
为什么你们自己不对经理说?
B: We are only small potatoes. The manager won't listen to us.
我们只是小人物,经理不会听我们的。

smash 棒极了;粉碎
A: John   scored  three  goals   alone  in   the match.
约翰在比赛里个人独入三球。
B: Smash!
棒极了!

A: He was drunk and smashed the window.
他醉了,还打破了窗户。
B: Oh! Was he hurt?
噢!他有没有受伤?

so far 到目前为止
A: How is everything?
     一切如何?
B: So far so good.
    到目前为止,一切尚好。

so long 再见
A: So long, Peter. I'll be seeing you.
     再见,彼得,后会有期。
B: So long, Susan.
     再见,苏珊。

so much the better 不要紧
A: If we don't take this one, we shan't be able to get on the next one.
如果不乘这班车,我们便赶不上下一趟车了。
B: So much the better. We can take a taxi then.
不要紧,我们可以乘计程车。

so that's how it's done 原来如此
A: I'll show you how to use this camera. Hold it up and press this button.
我会向你示范怎样使用这台照相机。拿起它,按这个键。
B: So that's how it's done. I can do it now.
噢,原来如此!现在我懂了。

so what 是又怎样
A: Did you break the vase?
     是你打破这花瓶吗?
B: Yes, so what?
    是又怎样?

some do, some don't 有的是,有的不是
A: Do the Japanese eat sushi?
     日本人是不是吃寿司?
B: Some do, some don't.
    有的吃,有的不吃。

some other time 改天
A: I was wondering if I could see the movie with you tonight?
我在想今晚我可否与你看电影?
B: Sorry, I'm busy tonight. Some other time perhaps.
对不起,我今晚很忙。改天吧。

something you should know 有件事你该知道
A: Peter, I think there is something you should know. Susan got married with John last Sunday.
彼得,我想有件事你该知道,苏珊与彼得上周日结婚了。
B: What? I can't believe it. She said that she loved me.
什么?我不相信。她说她爱我的。

it sounds great 听起来不错
A: I think it is a good idea to increase the annual subscription fee.
我想增加每年的订阅费是个好主意。
B: Well, it sounds great.
唔,听起来很不错。

speeding 超速
A: My car is marvelous.
     我的汽车棒极了。
B: Slow down. You are speeding.
     慢一点!你超速了。

square 老古板
A: Why did you turn down Peter's invitation?
为什么你拒绝了彼得的邀请?
B: He is a square. He can sit with you without saying anything for three hours.
他是个老古板。他可以与你呆坐三个小时,一句话也没有。

stand 忍受
A: Why didn't you listen to his explanation?
     为什么你不听他的解释呢?
B: I couldn't stand the way he talked.
    我不能忍受他说话的方式。

start all over again 重新开始
A: Mr Fong has just emigrated to Australia.
      方先生刚移民到澳洲。
B: What a pity! He has to start all over again.
     真可惜!他又得重新开始。

still up 还未睡
A: Still up? It is midnight now.
     还没睡?现在已经是深夜了。
B: Yes, I have to finish this report first.
     是啊,我先要完成这份报告。

short cut 捷径
A: Trust me. It's a short cut to making money.
相信我吧,这是一条发财的捷径。
B: I won't take the risk.
    我不会冒险。

talk back 顶嘴
A: Don't talk back to your parents. It's impolite.
不要和你的父母顶嘴,这是没礼貌的。
B: But they are not reasonable.
     可是他们不讲道理啊。

take a French leave 开小差
A: Where is Peter? The manager wants to see him.
彼得在哪里?经理想见他。
B: He's taken a French leave.
     他刚才开溜了。