Idiomatic Expressions in Conversations (4)|英语会话惯用语

[关于人物的英语作文]

guess so大概是吧!
A: Is she coming?
   她会来吗?
B: I guess so.
  我想会吧。

hang in there别放弃;坚持
A: We can't continue without you.
   没有你,我们干不下去。
B: Don't quit. Hang in there a minute. I'll be back.
   别放弃,再忍一下,我马上回来。

hang on 请等一下;抓紧;坚强
A: Hello, may I speak to Mr.Yuan?
  喂,袁先生在吗?
B: Hang on, please.
  请等一下。
A: Hang  on  Paul, the ambulance will be here any minute.
   保罗,坚强点,救护车马上就到了。
B: I'm afraid I can't.
   我恐怕我不能了。

hard time添麻烦;为难
A: Are you trying to give me a hard time?
   你想为难我吗?
B: Surely not.
   当然不是。

have a ball玩得很开心
A: Did you enjoy the party last night?
   享受昨晚的舞会了吗?
B: We surly had a ball.
   我们玩得很开心。

have a go at something (=give something a go)尝试
A: Have you ever gone cycling?
   你骑过自行车吗?
B: No.
   没有。
A: You ought to have a go at it someday. It's a lot of fun.
   那你该试一试,很有趣的。

have a word with you跟你说句话
A: Mary, I want to have a word with you. I don't like the way you've been around Andrew recently. He's my boy friend. Hands off, Okay?
  玛莉,我要跟你谈谈。我不喜欢你最近在安德鲁面前的表现。他是我的男朋友,你少打他的主意,好吗?
B: It's my own business.
   这是我的事。

Have I made myself clear?我的话够清楚了吧?
A: I don't want you to see my daughter any more. You two don't belong to each other. Have I made myself clear?
  我不希望你再见到我的女儿,你们两位是不相配的。我的话说得清不清楚?
B: Quite clear, Mr.Chan.
   够清楚了,陈先生。

have it your own way随你(生气时用)
A: This is my final offer. Take it or leave  it—have it your own way.这是我最后的出价,要或不要随便你。
B: I'll take it.
  我要吧。

Heaven/God knows天知道;天晓得
A: Do you think David will give you back the money he owes you?
你想大卫会把欠你的钱还你吗?
B: Heaven knows.
  天知道。

Hey, you know what嘿,你知道吗
A: Hey, you know what?
   嘿,你知道吗?
B: What?
   知道什么?
A: I'm going to get married tomorrow.
  我明天要结婚了。
B: No kidding?
  不是开玩笑?
A: No kidding!
  不是开玩笑!

hold it (=wait a minute)请等一下
A: Hold it; don't move.
  慢着;别动。
B: But I can't take it any more.
   但我不能再忍了。

hold it down (=keep quiet)安静一点
A: Hold it down in here. My mother is on the phone from the States.
请安静一点,我妈从美国打电话来。
B: Yes sir.
是。

How about a second round?再来一杯如何?
A: How about a second round?
  再来一杯如何?
B: No, thank you. I've had enough.
  不要了,谢谢,我已喝够了。

how about that不错吧
A: I've got a date with Mary for Saturday. How about that?
  星期六,我跟玛莉有约,不错吧?
B: I envy you so much.
  我很羡慕你。

how are you getting along近来如何
A: How are you getting along?
   近来如何?
B: Fine, and you?
   很好,你呢?

how awful真不幸;真糟糕
A: John was hit by a taxi.
   约翰被的士撞倒了。
B: How awful!
   真不幸!

how can you be so sure你怎么能如此肯定
A: How can you be so sure that guy isn't Kent?
   你怎么能确定那家伙不是肯特?
B: Because I'm that guy's brother.
   因为那家伙是我的哥哥。

How come?怎么会呢?怎么可能呢?
A: I'm dead broke now.
   我身无分文。
B: How come?
   怎么会呢?

how could I say no我怎能拒绝
A: I heard you went to Mary's house.
   听说你去玛莉家玩了?
B: Yes, her father wanted to see me. How could I say no?
   对,她爸爸想见我。我怎能拒绝呢?