26 Operational Principles of American Soldiers|美国士

[英语美文]

1. You are not a superman.
 你不是超人。(不要无谓地冒险、不要做傻事)

2. If it's stupid but works,it isn't stupid.
 如果一个蠢方法有效,那它就不是蠢方法。

3. Don't look conspicuous—it draws fire. (This is why aircraft carriers are called “Bomb Magnets”.)
不要太显眼,因为那会引来对方火力攻击。(这就是航母被称为“炸弹磁铁”的原因。)

4. Never share a foxhole1 with anyone braver than you are.
 别和比你勇敢的战友躲在同一个散兵坑里。

5. Never forget that the lowest bidder2 made your weapon.
别忘了你手上的武器是由开价最低的承包商中标制造的。

6. If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush3.
如果你的攻击进行得很顺利,那一定是你中了圈套。

7. All five-second grenade4 fuses will burn down in three seconds.
所有5秒的手榴弹引线都会在3秒内烧完。

8. Try to look unimportant because bad guys may be low on ammo5.
 尽量显得无足轻重,因为敌人可能弹药不够了。(他会先打最重要的人)

9. If you are forward of your position,the artillery6 will fall short7.
每当你要攻击前进时,炮兵往往也快要用完了炮弹。

10. The enemy diversion8 you are ignoring is the main attack.
    你不以为意的敌军牵制分队恰恰就是敌人的攻击主力。

11. The important things are always simple.
   重要的事情总是很简单。

12. The simple things are always hard.
   简单的事总是难以做到。

13. The easy way is always mined.
   好走的路总是布满了地雷。

14. If you are short of everything except enemy, you are in combat9.
   除了敌人不缺,其他什么都缺,那你就要面临作战了。

15. Incoming fire has the right of way.
   飞来的子弹有优先通行权。(挡它的道你就要倒大霉!)

16. If the enemy is in range, SO ARE YOU!!!
   如果敌人正在你的射程内,你也在他的射程内。

17. No combat ready unit has ever passed inspections.
   没有整装待命的单位能通过检阅。

18.Things that must be together to work usually can't     必须装配在一起才能发挥效力的武器通常不会一起运来。

19. Radios will fail as soon as you need fire support desperately10.
   无线电通讯可能在你急需火力支援时失灵。

20. Anything you do can get you shot—including doing nothing.
  你做的任何事都可能使你挨枪子儿——包括你什么都不做。

21. Tracers11 work both ways.
   曳光弹可以帮你找到敌踪;但也会让敌人找到你。

22.The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
唯一比敌人火力还精确的是友军打过来的炮火。(误射)

23. Make it tough for the enemy to get in and you can't get out.
   防守严密到敌人攻不进来时,往往自己也打不出去。

24. If  you  take  more than your fair share of objectives, you will have more than your fair share of objectives to take.
如果你多报战功,下次你会分到更多的任务。(自讨苦吃)

25. When  both sides are convinced that they are about to lose, they are both right.
两军都觉得自己快输时,他们都对了。

26. Professional soldiers are predictable but the world is full of amateurs.
专业兵的行为是你能预测的,可惜战场上业余兵占多数。(因此敌人的行为大部分你无法预测。)

=========================

1. foxhole  n. 散兵坑
2. bidder n. 出价人,投标人
3. ambush  n. 埋伏
4. grenade  n. 手榴弹
5. ammo  n. 弹药,军火
6. artillery  n. 炮兵
7. fall short 不够,不足
8. diversion  n. 牵制
9. combat n. 战斗,格斗
10. desperately  adv. 拼命地
11. tracer  n. [军]曳光弹